June 10, 2010

Thrifty Threads

Welcome to another installment of Thrifty Threads, AKA Most Stylish Compact-y outfit, where readers model their favorite secondhand clothes.

A Compact-y outfit is used or recycled, from Goodwill, a thrift store, a consignment shop, a yard sale, ebay, a friend's closet, or anywhere else you find used clothing.

Today's model is Nydia, who bought this cute summer dress for $4 at Goodwill. She looks great in that color! Nydia says she found it a couple weeks ago when she went in specifically looking for sun dresses. She bought the necklace for just 50 cents at a yard sale and the flip flops she got from a friend who lets her go through her daughter's outgrown clothing. She has super small feet, so she was able to score those for $1.

Nydia says she regularly shops at thrift stores and yard sales to save money, and it's become a hobby she's known for. I love her creative style of thrift shopping: this outfit was put together from an eclectic mix of used clothing venues. She's all ready for an outdoor summer party for just $5.50!

Nydia blogs at Zero House Payment Forever. She and her husband have been inspired by Dave Ramsey's The Total Money Makeover to pay off 60K worth of debt and pay cash to buy or build their dream home. Wow! Nydia describes her blog as a place to vent her frustrations about saving while everyone around her is spending, as well as a place to hold her accountable to their goals. She also hopes that some of her crazy money saving tactics might help someone else. They're doing some serious saving over there, you should check it out.

Thanks Nydia for that cute photo, and for inspiring the rest of us to pay off our debt, plus go shopping for summer frocks! Or shorts, if you're one of my handful of male readers or a woman who isn't the frock type. Readers, it's your turn. Put on your favorite secondhand outfit, snap a photo, and send it to me at barton.angela@gmail.com. We all want to see your fabulous finds, so don't be shy! Please leave your best thrift store shopping tips and compliments for Nydia in the Comments section.

3 comments:

Daryl at Vermont Cottage said...

Very cute. I will definitely check out her blog! (And I still need to send you some of my compact-y outfits. Most days I get dressed for less than $10).

Angela said...

Daryl- Yes, check it out. It's very inspirational how much you can save when you put your mind to it. Makes me wish I had learned that lesson back when I was her age. Smart woman.

And yes, I would love to get some photos from you!

Thanks for commenting! People always tell me they love Thrifty Threads, but it doesn't get many comments.

Angela said...

Thanks again, Nydia! Your goal is so inspiring- I can't imagine owning a home mortgage-free by the time I was in my 30s. You are a very smart woman. And I do love that red dress.