March 25, 2010

Thrifty Threads

Welcome to another installment of Thrifty Threads, AKA Most Stylish Compact-y Outfit, where readers model their favorite secondhand clothes.

A Compact-y outfit is from Goodwill, a thrift shop, a consignment store, a yard sale, ebay, craigslist, or anywhere else you find secondhand clothing.

Today's model is Nicolle, who found these separates at the Australian-based secondhand shop Savers. The entire outfit costs less than $16. Maternity clothes strike me as something particularly smart to buy secondhand, since you're changing sizes so rapidly, and may only wear each article of clothing for a month or two.

Nicolle thinks she looks grumpy in this photo, and says it's because her baby is due. That was two weeks ago, so by now I'm sure congratulations are in order! Although she warns that for the same reason, she might not have time to read this blog for awhile. But in case she does: Nicolle, I hope you and your baby are both well.

I think she looks cute, plus I can't believe she took the time to send in this picture. So a great big thank you to Nicolle! Readers, it's your turn. Put on your favorite thrift store score, snap a photo, and send it to me at barton.angela@gmail.com. Isn't it fun to see the great bargains people are finding secondhand? I can always use more photos, and my challenge to male readers stands (I know there are a few of you out there!)

Please share your best tips for shopping for used clothing, plus compliments and congrats to Nicolle, in the Comments section. And click here to check out all the previous installments of Thrifty Threads.

4 comments:

Bean said...

I don't think she looks grumpy at all, I think women are at their most beuatiful right before they are due, glowing. Lovely photo!

Non Consumer Girl said...

Nicolle, well done!

I remember 7 years ago being pregnant and having to buy new clothes every month or so! So very clever that you have found Maternity clothes second hand.

I know that feeling just before you go into labour and you feel so exhausted and just want to get it over with!

Good luck with Bubs!

Non Consumer Girl

Cate said...

What a great outfit! It didn't even occur to me to look for maternity clothes at thrift shops when I was pregnant, and spent a small fortune on clothes for my ever-changing body.

Marie-Josée said...

She looks gorgeous and thanks for sharing! Hope everyhting is going well for the mummy and the baby. Good luck!