February 18, 2010

Thrifty Threads

It's Thursday, time for another installment of Thrifty Threads, AKA Most Stylish Compact-y Outfit, where readers model their favorite secondhand clothes.

A Compact-y outfit is used or recycled, from Goodwill, a thrift store, a consignment shop, a yard sale, craigslist, ebay, or anywhere else you find secondhand clothes.

Today's model is Anita, back for the second time on Thrifty Threads with another adorable skirt/vest combo. Anita is one of the very best editors I've ever worked with, and one of the nicest too. And I've been lucky enough to work with some really nice people. Anita is an inspiration for loving her work and being great at it. She edited one of my favorite comedies ever, the awesome Legally Blonde.

Anita says she's been having a lot of fun lately shopping at thrift stores, inspired by her daughter who's in her early 20s. In fact, sometimes she can't find what she wants to wear because they're the same size and they share clothes. Click here to see Anita's other stylish ensemble, and to read all about how she tries to copy looks she sees in magazines while thrift shopping.

At Crossroads Trading Company in Los Angeles, this skirt was $14.50 and the vest was $12.50. The t-shirt was new, but only $4, making the outfit a steal. I love it because it looks comfortable, and it's casual but nice enough to wear to work or almost anywhere. Plus it manages to look both old-fashioned and hip, preppy and pretty. I love the shoes and tights, and the long necklace with the argyle vest. Great contrasts that all work together. Really creative and fun, obviously put together by someone with a sharp visual sense.

Thanks Anita! Readers, it's your turn! I need more photos, so keep them coming! If you like to shop at thrift stores, put on your favorite outfit, snap a photo, and send it to me at barton.angela@gmail.com. Remember, we want to see all kinds of women modeling their fabulous finds, and I'm still waiting for a photo from a man. I'm afraid it's going to have to be at his wife's urging, so if your husband wears secondhand clothes, take a picture and then ask him if you can send it to me. My husband looks great in his Goodwill party shirts, but unfortunately he doesn't want his picture to be used on my blog. He's much more interested in privacy than I am (obviously!) and more mysterious.

Give us your best tips for finding stylish secondhand clothes in the Comments section. And click here to check out previous installments of Thrifty Threads.

5 comments:

Alea Milham said...

I love how she created a professional, yet fun and comfortable outfit! That is something I struggle with; I tend to either look good or be comfortable. Off to go steal my vests back from my daughter...

Catherine said...

I love this photo, and the Thrifty Threads feature every week. From stylish, professional work clothes to fun weekend outfits to evening wear, you can find it all through second-hand. I've been successful in patronizing local thrift shops once a week, and running clothing swaps. I got my mom hooked on thrift too. We can't imagine spending another Saturday at the mall.

Marie-Josée said...

Thanks Angela. Anita looks very stylish.

Crossroads Trading Company said...

I love how she added that argyle vest to give all of the neutrals a twist. And then the necklace tied everything together. Great job!

Angela said...

Alea and Catherine- Send me a photo!