December 7, 2009

Meatless Mondays recipes

I pledged to go meatless on Mondays about six months ago, and it has been so easy we've barely noticed it. We generally eat vegetarian meals several nights a week anyway, so it hasn't been any sacrifice for us. But what HAS changed is that I'm getting so many great recipe ideas from the Meatless Monday website, and from my readers! And that makes it easier than ever, and a lot more fun!

If you haven't heard of Meatless Monday, click here to find out more about it. It's a non-profit initiative to encourage people to give up meat one day a week for their health and the health of the planet. If you sign up, you'll receive a weekly email packed with delicious recipes. I can't find the time to make all the ones I've saved!

Here are this week's reader suggestions:

1) Kate from Creating A Life I Love says this recipe is simple and satisfying: scoop fresh cooked Basmati rice into individual bowls, squeeze half a lime over the rice plus soy sauce and sliced avocado. Serve with steamed or stir-fried veggies and a green salad, and you have a quick and healthy meal.

2) Julie adds to the rice theme with this suggestion: brown rice topped with stir-fried onions, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, sugar snap peas and Trader Joe's veggie birds' nests on the side. She says she was busy and let the onions cook so long they carmelized and it was heavenly.

I love carmelized onions. They're such a great addition to any veggie stir fry. Julie's recipe is almost exactly like my old college standby, except for the addition of the Trader Joe's birds' nests. I can't wait to try them. Julie says they're in the frozen foods section.

On the rice theme, this recipe for vegetable curry is one of our staples. It's a crockpot dish, and for me it's comfort food over rice. Plus curry is SO good for you.

Readers, please share your favorite super-simple meatless meals in the Comments section and I'll include them in the next Meatless Monday post in two weeks. Next Monday I'll have a CSA delivery photo and post for you and we'll be back on our regular schedule.

Have you signed up for Meatless Mondays yet? Click here to check out previous meatless monday recipes posts.

No comments: