October 23, 2009

Another Food Waste Friday

This was our food waste this week. The thing that looks like moldy, puffed-up naan bread is actually squash. I found it last weekend when it wasn't that moldy, but saved it in case anything else turned up. Yuck. The tahini had no "best by" date, was so separated that it couldn't be shaken back into a uniform consistency, and I don't even remember when I bought it. So it's NG. I'm planning on scooping that out and saving the jar. Does anyone know if it's okay to throw tahini in the compost bin? And the lime was in a bag in the refrigerator with others that are fine, so I don't know what went wrong with it.

We had one of those weeks of constantly changing plans and actually ended up going out and/or having to meet people several times, so I didn't do much cooking. And I'm going to have to work really hard to use up all of our CSA produce so that it doesn't go bad next week.

I'm short on time, so here's the scoop: waste less food and you'll not only save money, you'll help save the planet. Find out more at Wasted Food and The Frugal Girl.

How did you do this week? Please share your thoughts and questions in the Comments section.

4 comments:

mrs. fisher's findings said...

we just stirred ours up and it was fine! How come you didn't cut off the moldy spot and eat it! :) Hahah!

Alea Milham said...

I can't remember the exact ingredients of tahini. If that is a form of oil on top, probably not, but if it is just juice then it is fine to compost.

WilliamB said...

I disagree with Alea. You *can* compost that tahini. As someone posted on TheFrugalGirl, you probably wouldn't want to pour a gallon of oil on your pile because it'd make an anaerobic pile - compost piles need air to decompose - but that little bit won't have that effect.

PS: there is such a thing as anaerobic composting, but that's not what you have.

Cate said...

I totally thought that was naan! I even showed my husband and he thought the same thing. Ick! We had a little pumpkin that went bad on us this week--we didn't count it as food waste because we bought it to be purely decorative--and once it started going, it was disgusting.

Also, glad to know that other people sometimes hold onto bad food just to take a picture later. :-)