March 25, 2009

My herb garden

I received this herb garden as a birthday gift from a friend. Isn't it beautiful? I am SO excited! Now I'll have fresh basil, thyme, and marjoram to use all summer. That's Walter the Owl in the background.

My friend laughed a little when I exclaimed "Did you make this?" I think she meant that it was so easy, anyone could do it. But not me! I'm the opposite of a green thumb- what would that be called? On the color wheel, if yellow and blue make green, I think red is opposite of green. So call me a red thumb.

Anyway, I'm not a gardener but I was thinking about trying to at least grow a few herbs this year. It's so expensive to buy them, and I have actually had some success with basil plants in the past.

So I'm going to take good care of my beautiful garden in that gorgeous blue bowl. Do you have any tips for me, regarding care and feeding? It's going to be getting almost full sun, and my friend said that would be okay. Also, is there any trick to "harvesting"? As far as how often, where on the plant, and should I pinch with fingers or cut with a scissors?

Also, I use thyme and basil all the time, but do you know any good recipes that use marjoram? Please share your tips and advice in the comments section.

5 comments:

Ellen said...

My best hint is to be sure to use a pot with a drainage hole....that way, if you over water, it won't be as likely to kill the roots.

As far as trimming, I don't think it matters whether you pinch or cut. Just try to do so from different places on the plant, so that you wont kill growth on one whole side. I was always told cutting stimulates new growth, so use away! And invite me over to eat!

Anonymous said...

Angela, I am so glad you have a fresh herb bowl. I grow herbs in my garden. The thyme I planted last year survived the winter beautifully! The best use for mixed dried or fresh herbs is and herb, oil and vinegar salad dressing. 1/3 cup vinegar (I use a garlic and red wine vinegar) and 2/3 cup olive oil or canola oil, a couple tablespoons full of water and mixed herbs (including marjoram)Shake and serve. It is wonderful. Good Luck with your Red Thumb...i love that!

Anonymous said...

Ellen and alunachic-
Thanks for the tips and the recipe!
The bowl does have a hole in the bottom- you're right about that, I once "drowned" an orchid because the pot didn't drain properly.

WilliamB said...

Majoram is very much like oregano, but a little milder and a little sweeter. Most people substitute one for the other freely.

Oh! You could use it to make a gift. You may need to buy a pretty bottle. Harvest the herb, wash, chop. Simmer in olive oil over very low heat for 15 min or so. Let sit for a while. Simmer for 5 min, let sit a while. Strain out the herb. Meanwhile, sterilize your pretty bottle. Put a couple pretty sprigs of herb in it, then fill with the herb oil. Label, give. Tell recipient that ze should refrigerate the oil OR use it within a month OR take the sprigs out.

Angela said...

thanks for your suggestion, William. I wish I could figure out how to know when someone has made a comment on an old post. I just found this one!